Friday 4 May 2012

My Online BFFs

There are so many online resources out there that a bride can turn to when doing initial research. We basically scour the net for worthy information like suppliers, schedules, list of requirements and wedding inspirations. 

What's interesting is you get to read about other brides' experiences when planning or when they planned their big day. You realise that you're not alone and there are so many out there like you who are stressing out (or who stressed out), losing weight (this is a good thing, isn't it), nitpicking and feeling every bit of anxious. You get to comment and ask questions. Before you know it, you are actively participating in conversations either to learn more about beating the stress or to share your own experiences.

I joined a few online communities to find out more about supplier services in forums. It saves time and it's convenient. All I need is my laptop and a computer connection, and I can be lost for hours visiting supplier sites and reviews. I read reviews and take into consideration actual user ratings. For me, reading reviews is as important as getting a good deal.

Whenever I travel, I spend hours researching and reading reviews by users who have stayed in certain hotels I am interested in. Good reviews are important to me as proximity to places of interest.

So for brides-to-be, the Internet offers a myriad of information and useful reviews that will help in the planning, especially for overseas brides like me, who do not have the luxury to attend wedding fairs in the Philippines.

I've enumerated my top picks, my online BFFs below:

WeddingsAtWork (or simply, W@W) is an online portal for weddings or the "kasalan" culture in the Philippines. Its directory of suppliers is amazing. I like how W@W has included laws and legalities about getting married in the Philippines or marrying a Filipina. It makes it easier for foreigners or engaged Filipinas to know more about our legal practices.

The downside is the site is not always updated. The same old things are posted on the site. In 2011, I was happy with W@W. In 2012, I only used its supplier directory. It needs updating. Also, the site loads forever. W@W must consider using a different server or upgrading to a better one.

Image courtesy of Weddings At Work Philippines
Themes & Motifs is an online community and resource centre, featuring actual weddings and useful wedding tools. I find the tools easy to use and are useful. There are planners (calendar, budget, guest list, invitation, playlist,e tc), checklist, and even a missalette maker. It's easy to navigate your way around the site. 

In order to maximise your experience on this site, you have to sign up as member, which is not a bad idea.

Image courtesy of Themes & Motifs
Bridal Book PH is my favourite. I like the website design; its light blue and mint hues are refreshing to look at. I like that it's divided into sections (from wedding attire to beauty secrets, marriage preps, ceremony to registries, among others) that can be conveniently accessed from the website. What makes these sections even more appealing is the use of The articles and blogs are extremely helpful, too. This site is designed for the modern bride.


Image courtesy of Bridal Book
Help is available. Let other brides help you get the information that you need. Be inspired by actual weddings and couples, and explore creative themes by visiting wedding blogs and other online resources. Other than my bridal party and my ever reliable Maid of Honour (who happens to be my best friend), these online resources are my BFFs.

I have a few more sites that I frequent and will blog about them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment