Wednesday 2 May 2012

Realisations of a Bride-to-Be

When my fiance and I finally agreed on the date of the wedding, I was making mental countdowns almost every other day and imagining what the Big Day would be like. Yes, I was researching on churches, venues and suppliers but didn't really feel the "pressure" until we started settling down payments and reservation fees. Told myself, "This is it! It's really happening!"

It's a different ballgame once the couple starts budgeting and planning for wedding costs. Since it already involves money that comes from our paychecks, we are investing in "us". Pulling our savings together is a new concept for us but we're off to a good start.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it's barely five months to go before my wedding and, as the date draws to a close, I can't help but ponder about this once-in-a-lifetime commitment. Marriage, as in any other relationship, needs a lot of work and the following:

Patience, indeed, is a virtue. Unfortunately, it's something I am not blessed with. If I don't see things done, I get irritated. If I don't get quick responses or action, I hit the wall. But then, I realised that in life, you don't always get what you want in an instant. There really is such a thing called waiting.

Emotional maturity. I haven't really aced this yet but I'm getting there. I am always the one that easily fumes up when there are misunderstandings, but I am working on it. It's tough but all relationships need it, I know.

Gentleness. One of the things I admire in him is his gentle ways. He talks to me gently. His tone is always friendly, warm and reassuring. I like it and I try to reciprocate his actions as much as I can.

From "Me" to "We". Ever since I left home and lived independently, I've been used to deciding only for myself. Now, I am adjusting to this concept of joint decision-making coupled with compromise. It needs some getting used to but I am getting there. It's no longer "me" but "we".

Compromise. It's not always easy meeting halfway. It just goes to show how much two people love and appreciate each other, enough to compromise and understand what the other is feeling.


Before I say, "I do."
Image courtesy of Disc Jockeys
Open communication. We are dealing with a long-distance relationship and I am doing remote wedding coordination. Imagine the stress? What keeps us going is communication as it is a nurturing and caring way to keep the relationship going without the power of touch. It is tough but we are both glad that there's FaceTime.

I know there's a myriad of things to learn before the wedding and in marriage. We are just getting started. But you know what? I'm confident and I feel safe because I know that, no matter what happens, we will always have each other.

And I thank God for giving him to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment